Monday, 18 October 2010

Maxine Sutton

Maxine is another designer textile artist who i met at Origins craft fair, she is some one i greatly admire and again a thoroughly nice person who took the time to chat during a very busy event. She is based in Margate and has a shop/studio in the old town , Maxine also runs workshops in the space above the shop and promotes the work of both new and established crafts people from this venue which is called 'Blackbird'.
Maxine's own work is exquisite , her colour palettes are very beautiful and she mixes screen prints with embroidery and also works with paper .I was particularly drawn to Maxine's work because of her use of collage which is a technique i am researching for my journal and a method of working that i often use myself. I absolutely love Maxine's framed paper collages ,they are so beautifully balanced and again the colour choice is really successful.













I asked Maxine if i could email her some questions , this is her response , she also sent me a question and answer sheet that she had produced with students in mind ,so many thanks Maxine --

Dear Cath,
thanks for your email. I have a word doc attached that I usually send out to students who get in touch. I think most of your questions are covered.

How long did it take for you to become a full time successful artist/designer?
covered in the info sheet

How much do you compromise for commissioned work?
not at all if I can help it - much more if its financially worthwhile and the company or individual are credible and you want to work with them and if being involved with them helps build a profile?
I wouldn't make or design something for an unethical company or one who's image/profile didn't fit with what I value. My individual colour palette is very important to me.
If you have a very distinct voice as a designer/maker then most companies or individuals want what YOU do if they are commissioning, so it really doesn't make sense for them to ask you to compromise too much.

I'm afraid I don't understand the following question?

How did you fund the work initially?
do you mean pay for materials? pay my mortgage? buy food? As it says in the attached document I do consider my personal finances to be private. If you are more precise about what info you are asking for then I may or may not be able to help?

RE narrative. yes its still important. Inspiration for the work is included in about pages on my website as well as various articles and online interview.

Pricing is a very specific and often difficult area - it t can take years to get it right. I apply different criteria to different pieces products and projects. This is an area of prof practice that your college should advise on or look to the organisations I have listed on the info sheet.

What are your top tips for success in this business?
sorry no top tips - not sure how to measure success and don't consider myself to be in this category.


I hope this helps a bit, I am at GNCCF this weekend do come and say hello if you wish and I can try to answer your questions more fully for you?

best wishes
Maxine


Thanks for taking the time out to answer my questions Maxine !




No comments:

Post a Comment