Wednesday, 23 February 2011

Julie Del' Hopital tutorial




Julie, a fine artist who we met in second year came in to college to look at our final major project work. She related to what I was doing and felt I needed to free myself up more and just let go of the control . I talked to her about what issues I wanted to represent through the work and Julie suggested I used the art as a way of dealing with how I felt about certain situations , for example Catholicisms, i had an image of the sacred heart which had haunted me from childhood so Julie felt I needed to deal with it in a creative way !
So I did .........


Julie felt that the more experimental I was the more interesting and exciting the results would be, she suggested that I look at the work of Max Ernst and this is the image that immediately caught my eye when i began my research ! He was brought up in a strict catholic household and it clearly impacted on his art as it has with my own .
The Blessed Virgin Chastising the Infant Jesus Before Three Witnesses 1926.



Julie said that my research and subject matters was quite dark and she felt that my drawing had a naive child like quality , she felt that the two worked well together and if i just allowed myself to be free i would get some very interesting results ! She pointed out to me that many successful artist had used their work as a way of dealing with their own issues and questions and it added depth and intrigue to the art !

Thank you Julie !


Another artist whom i greatly admire and uses her work to deal with her own issues and express her feelings is Tracey Emin. Emin is a very much in your face kind of artist who uses text to literally spell out her messages, she is bold and brave in her convictions and has caused controversy over the years with the content of some of her work, she is technically very brilliant i have seen some of her quilts in an exhibition at the V & A and they are stunningly beautiful.


Emin Everyone I Have Ever Slept With 1963-1995 (1995)


Emin For You 2001


No comments:

Post a Comment